How did you go starting to spring clean your wardrobe?
Hope it went well and you’re starting to feel more organised for the new spring/summer season.
Today we’re going to learn
- how to dejunk the items that you don’t or can’t wear
- how to create a shopping list to fill the gaps in your wardrobe and
- my hot picks for beautiful outer layers at CC Collections to make your favourite pieces work even better this season.
- Dejunk the Items You Don’t or Can’t Wear
Here’s a trick if you find this challenging... (and I do understand that “Oh no, but I can’t get rid of them” feeling as I have the same problem with hoarding paper because “I might need it again one day”). Bundle up the items you’re nervous about dejunking, put them away somewhere that is not easily accessible and write on your calendar a date in 6 months time to get rid of them. If you have survived happily all spring and summer without them then you’ll be able to take them to a charity bin, consignment store or (for items suitable for work) a Dress for Success drop off point at Maxwell Drycleaners with a clear conscience.
A word of warning though, don’t be tempted to open the bundle before you take it to it’s final destination! Trust me, this is always fatal to your dejunking efforts.
- Write a Shopping List of the Items You Need
Now’s the time to take another look at your favourites pile. Ask yourself the following questions to identify the ‘gaps’ in your new season wardrobe. This will create your shopping list of items that you actually need and will make your wardrobe work.
- What outer layer (cardigan, jacket) did you wear with that top last spring?
- Which tops work with that favourite jacket or cardigan (outer layers)?
- Which trousers, skirts or capris (bottoms) did you wear with those tops?
- Do this with accessories and shoes too
Anytime you can’t find a bottom, top or outer layer in your wardrobe to go with a favourite item you’ve just identified a ‘gap’ in your wardrobe. Buy the items to fill those gaps and you’ll be able to make all your separates work as outfits.
- My Recommendations of Beautiful Spring “Outer Layers” to Get Your Started
- These knit cardigans are perfect over tops or dresses, with skirts or pants. For the broader shouldered French Knitwear Bolero 6031Y is stunning. If you have a curvy waist and fuller hips try French Knitwear cardigan 6032Y. Both are available in lots of colours.
- These new season jackets are just gorgeous. Try the stylish Black or Deep Royal Button Front 3/4 Sleeve Jacket 7356Y if you are broader shouldered and suit a tailored jacket or the beautiful drape Jacket Printed Dry Knit 7414Y if you suit softer rather than boxy tailoring because of your curvy waist and fuller hips.
Have fun spring cleaning and restocking your wardrobe.
If you would like some expert help (and make it a lot more fun) just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message on (03)385 5485 with a couple of days/times that would suit you to talk and the best number to call you on. Then just so I can help you best, I’ll give you a call to ask you a few questions about what you’re struggling with and give you some options of how I can help.
Enjoy the beautiful spring weather...
Personal Style Consultant
Joanna Giles (BA)
Love Your Look